Submissions open for the 2nd Annual JOOK Summer Spotlight Series
JOOK’s 2nd Annual Summer Spotlight Series Celebrating Southern Writers and New Southern Plays has been announced! Following the success of the first round and subsequent NATCHETOCHES workshop by Seth McNeill in 2020, this uplifting project returns for a second round of submissions. JOOK’s game reading series was developed to explore original works.
Based in Memphis, Tennessee, and co-founded by Randy Redd and Taylor Newby, JOOKMS features locally designed theater. In addition to developing new works, the innovative theater troupe also presents reinvented classics. In 2020, JOOK brought its SPOTLIGHT SUMMER PERFORMANCE SERIES online to host development readings of 4 new plays and a series of workshops and discussions with local playwrights, directors and performers. Other JOOKMS projects include the HOT MIC SOLO SERIES for solo artists and BE THE LIGHT, a weekly YouTube series featuring movers, shakers and theater makers hosted by Redd and Newby.
JOOKMS is committed to finding, nurturing and presenting new voices in American theater. They believe that great theater should be a positive, transformative and inclusive cultural experience for all of us. JOOK is committed to being a diverse, inclusive and equitable creative space. A program where all employees and volunteers, regardless of their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender orientation or gender identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. They are committed to a non-discriminatory approach and offer equal opportunities for employment and advancement in all of their departments and programs. They respect and value diverse life experiences and ensure that all voices are valued and heard. They are also committed to maintaining an inclusive environment with fair treatment for all.
Seeking work with emerging and established playwrights from the South.
Series performance dates:
August 16-20, 2021
All finalists will receive a $ 100 user fee.
Complete pieces OR in one act in all genres: comedy, drama or multimedia. Musicals will not be accepted at this time.
Translations, one-act collections, children’s plays and plays that have been the subject of large-scale professional productions prior to submission are not eligible.
Games with casts of more than 8 people and unfinished work or drafts will not be considered at this time.
- Complete pieces OR in one act in all genres. Musicals will not be accepted at this time.
- Pieces that have been the subject of workshops and / or readings will be accepted.
- Electronic submissions (PDF) only.
- Only one submission per playwright is permitted each year.
- Eligible parts can be produced virtually online or live on stage.
- Please include the following information in an attached PDF file, not in the body of your email.
- Please do not attach multiple files.
The complete submission must include:
Your contact details and bio
Your drama writing resume
Title of the piece
Distribution and description of characters, including total number of characters
Time and place of the part
Synopsis – no more than one page
A concise paragraph describing the development history of the part you are submitting
The full script
Incomplete submission files will not be considered.
Send an email to [email protected] with the SUBMISSION QUESTION subject line
- Up to 4 finalists will be chosen to participate in the Summer Spotlight Series online and up to 10 semi-finalists will receive honorable mentions ahead of the festival with screams on social media.
- The finalists will be selected by a panel of readers and notified by JOOKMS no later than June 30.
- They regret that individual comments are not possible and that only finalists / semi-finalists will be contacted.
- Each finalist will receive the following: a professional director, playwright and cast, 8 hours of remote rehearsal, including online reading, and post-show virtual chat.
- Playwrights are required to participate in the rehearsal process and attend readings and talkbacks for their acting in a virtual setting.
- All finalists will receive a script usage fee of $ 100.
- No other royalty or payment will be issued. If full production advances, a contract will be negotiated for full production. The playwright owns all rights to their material.
- Submissions will be capped after receipt of the first 200 scripts.
Send your complete submission package by email to:
[email protected] before June 1, 2021