Two local writers will be presenting for fellow writers on Saturday, July 16 and the East Shore Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie.
The sessions — for beginners or experienced writers — are free and open to the public.
9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.: Author Constance Adler, Guided meditation and the creative process
Creativity is a complex process that includes several phases, each of which requires different skills and thinking. How can we use mindfulness to optimize the creative process? Which mindfulness techniques best fit certain phases of the creative process?
Adler is the author of the memoir “My Bayou, New Orleans Through the Eyes of a Lover”. His stories have appeared in numerous publications including Oxford American, Utne Reader, Spy Magazine, Bayou and Blackbird. His profile of Mardi Gras float designer Henri Schindler in Gambit Weekly was honored by the Louisiana Press Association with a top award for feature writing.
11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: Pam Villagran, character development
Villagran says most authors don’t put as many characters in their books as she does because it can confuse readers. “To counter this, I had to significantly develop each of my characters early in the story, so the reader could keep them separate in their head as they read.” She will talk about character manipulation.
Villagran writes the Willow Rose series under the pen name Ann Marie Jameson. She was born in New Orleans and has lived in various parts of the state. She considers herself of French “Cajun” origin.
MAGIC MYSTERY TOUR: Bruce Spizer, a local attorney and internationally recognized Beatles expert, will discuss his new book, “The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine,” at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 14, at the East Bank Regional Library.
GENEALOGICAL TOURISTS: Rhonda Roederer presents “Becoming a Tombstone Tourist” at 1 p.m., Wednesday, July 13, at the East Bank Regional Library. Genealogist tourists research cemeteries and their records to verify burial records and ancestor burial places.
FULL CONSCIOUSNESS: Rolf van Anders is leading a mindfulness session at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 21 at the River Ridge Library, 8825 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge.
NAUTICAL SAFETY: The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will be hosting a boating safety course from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, July 16, at the River Ridge Library, 8825 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge. The course lasts between six and eight hours. It is recommended to register in advance by going to the website of the Ministry of Wildlife and Fisheries. Students who complete the course will receive a Vessel Operator Certification Card.
SPIRITUALITY: Bobby Cox, Ph.D., a licensed clinical psychologist, will present relevant research on the psychological and identity implications of religion and spirituality, at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, July 16 at the East Bank Regional Library. He will discuss dealing with loss of religious identity and life trauma in the context of secular humanism.
SUMMER READING PROGRAM EVENTS:
- Everyone Dances: 11 a.m. to noon, Thursday, July 14, Old Metairie Library, 2350 Metairie Road, Metairie.
- Kitten yoga: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., Monday, July 18, East Bank Regional Library.
- Giant bubble games area: from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday July 18, Belle Terre Library, 5550 route de Belle Terre, Marrero.
- Michelle’s Magical Poodles: 10:30-11:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 19, West Bank Regional Library, 2750 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey.
- Michelle’s Magical Poodles: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 19, Wagner Library, 6646 Riverside, Metairie.
- Michelle’s Magical Poodles: 2:30-3:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 20, Gretna Library, 102 Willow Drive, Gretna.
- Michelle’s Magic Poodles: 10:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m., Thursday, July 21, East Shore Regional Library.
COMPUTER LESSONS : Receive free computer training at the West Bank Regional Library and the West Bank Regional Library. Places are limited and online registration is mandatory. Visit the Computer Courses page on www.jplibrary.net/training and click on “East Bank Regional Schedule” or “West Bank Regional Schedule”. Upcoming courses include:
Upcoming Farmhouse courses include:
- JPL Digital Content: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., July 15.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 1: 10 a.m. to noon, July 18.
- Microsoft Excel 2: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., July 18.
- Individual Computer Skills: 2-3 p.m., July 21.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2: 2-4 p.m., July 22.
Chris Smith is head of adult programming at the Jefferson Parish Public Library.